Arch Street Presbyterian Church
The present-day Arch Street Presbyterian Church is the result of a century’s worth of merging between five different congregations. The first of these congregations, also located on Arch Street, was known as the Fifth Presbyterian Church and began in 1813.
In 1816 the church was led by Dr. Thomas H. Skinner, who was known for voicing his stance against doctrinal preaching, leading to a threatened church heresy trial. While the threat was never put into action, the church gained a lot of attention and a lot of new members. Skinner left the congregation in 1832 to teach at Andover Seminary, resulting in to a devastating loss of congregants. A new pastor came on board to lead the church in 1836, but left by 1837, likely due to tension between old and new school Presbyterianism.