Old Saint Joseph’s
The history of Old Saint Joseph’s Church is one characterized by tolerance, service, and flexibility. The oldest catholic congregation in the city, the church has strived to serve its community, no matter of what form that “community” may take.
Throughout out its long history, the neighborhoods surrounding the church and its parishioners have changed enormously, shifting from servicing some of the most prominent members of Philadelphia society to the “poorest of …the poor,” and back again. Throughout the church’s many years, its intentions to serve the community have not faltered.
Old Saint Joseph’s began in 1729 when an English Jesuit priest came to Philadelphia from Maryland in search of the religious freedom garunteed under William Penn’s Charter of Privileges. A chapel was built for the Catholic congregation in 1733.
As the Catholic community of Philadelphia grew, the